Delicious, airy, moist healthy banana bread coming right up! Our signature healthy banana bread recipe is made with white whole wheat flour, ripe bananas, all-natural sweeteners, and coconut oil.
We always had a loaf (or two :P) of homemade banana bread on the counter growing up. It was one of my mom’s go-to baked goods to make for the family.
Why make this banana bread recipe?
We know that this healthy banana bread recipe is one of hundreds on the internet. So, why make this one?
- 100% whole grain: our recipe is made with 100% whole grains all thanks to white whole wheat flour.
- All-natural sugar: you won’t find any refined sugars such as brown or white sugar in this recipe. We used coconut sugar, maple syrup, and the natural sweetness from the ripe bananas.
- Limited oil: This recipe only calls for 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Tried and true: we’ve tested and tested this recipe and I’m telling you, it’s the most perfect loaf banana bread you’ll ever sink your teeth into.
This recipe is 200 calories per serving and has 4g fat, 3g fiber, and 4g protein per slice!
Ingredients You Need
- White whole wheat flour – the basis of this banana bread is white whole wheat flour. White whole wheat is our favorite flour to bake with because it’s a little nutty and cooks similar to all-purpose, but with whole grains!
- Coconut sugar – coconut sugar is a lower glycemic sugar. You only need 1/4 cup so I promise the flavor won’t be super “coconutty.”
- Ripe bananas – the riper the better when it comes to bananas for banana bread. 3 medium bananas will get you about 1 cup mashed.
- Eggs – eggs not only add protein to this recipe but help create the airiness.
- Maple syrup – I absolutely love the addition of maple into this healthy banana bread recipe. It tastes like fall and really adds a nice, warm flavor.
- Greek yogurt – a little bit of Greek yogurt helps activate the baking soda. It also adds moistness to the recipe, helping to reduce the amount of added oil.
- Vanilla extract – extracts are a great way to add a little more oomph to your baked goods! Next time, try almond extract!
- Unsweetened almond milk – any kind of milk works for this recipe, but we prefer unsweetened almond!
- Coconut oil – all you need is 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil. Make sure to melt the coconut oil before measuring.
Coconut Sugar – try using light brown sugar 1:1 instead of coconut sugar! It’s equally as delicious.
Maple Syrup – out of maple? Try honey or agave nectar.
Coconut Oil – melted butter would be so delish and olive oil works too!
Eggs – out of eggs? Try our vegan banana bread recipe instead!
Tired of making the same ol’ banana bread recipe over and over again? Try one of these add ins!
- Berries – strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries
- Chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips and dried cranberries
- Chopped nuts – walnuts or pecans
- Chai spice
Before getting started, here are a few of our favorite baking essentials you will need to make this recipe a success!
How to Make Healthy Banana Bread
Step 1: Mix
Place the dry ingredients into one bowl and whisk to combine. Then, mash your bananas in another bowl and add the rest of the wet ingredients minus the coconut oil and mix to combine.
Combine the two bowls into one and mix again. Finally, add in melted coconut oil and mix again.
Why should I add the coconut oil at the end?
We get this question ALL. THE. TIME. The reason we suggest adding the melted coconut oil at the end is because coconut oil hardens easily. If you mix warm, melted coconut oil with a cold liquid like almond milk or eggs, your coconut oil might seize up. By waiting until the end, you make sure it will stay melted and mix in perfectly!
Step 2: Transfer to pan
Spray your bread pan with a generous amount of nonstick cooking spray or line it with a piece of parchment paper.
Then, transfer the batter into the pan and give it a few taps to get out any air bubbles and to make sure the batter is even.
Can I turn this banana bread into muffins?
So glad you asked! Yes, of course, you can! You will get around 12-14 muffins out of this batter. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners and spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
Then, fill each muffin 3/4 of the way full. Bake at 350ºF for 20-23 minutes.
Step 3: Bake, tent, and bake
Bake banana bread at 350ºF for 30 minutes. Then, remove the bread from the oven and use a piece of tin foil to create a tent on the pan. Place back in the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Do I have to tent my banana bread?
You don’t HAVE to tent your banana bread, but we do recommend it. No one likes a tough, overcooked outer layer and this is what the tenting prevents.
Step 4: Let cool
Remove bread from the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes before removing It from the bread pan and transferring it to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Healthy Banana Bread Tips
How many bananas do I need for 1 cup mashed?
You will need around 3 medium bananas to get 1 cup of mashed bananas.
Can I use frozen bananas?
This recipe is a great way to use up all the frozen bananas you have In your freezer! Let your bananas thaw completely before mashing and measuring.
Is banana bread healthy?
Most banana bread recipes are made with white sugar, all-purpose flour, and vegetable oil making it a not so good for you treat. That is why we created this bananas bread recipe! It’s made with whole grains, all-natural sugars, and a little coconut oil.
I don’t like bananas, what else can I use?
Yes, people ask this question! Don’t like bananas? Try applesauce instead. Use 1 cup of applesauce in place of the 3 mashed bananas.
Let banana bread cool completely before transferring it into an airtight container such as a gallon-size plastic bag. We recommend storing banana bread on the counter for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Let banana bread cool completely and then wrap it in a piece of plastic wrap followed by a piece of tin foil.
- Remove as much air as possible and then write the date on it.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup mashed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a standard bread pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Next, place dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash 3 medium ripe bananas with a fork until they’re mostly pureed. You should get about a cup of mashed banana. Then crack in eggs and whisk to combine. Add maple syrup, Greek yogurt, vanilla, and almond milk and whisk again.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and mix with a wooden spoon. Finally, add melted coconut oil and mix one final time.
- Transfer batter into the bread pan and then bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with a tented piece of tin foil. Then, bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes and then remove from pan to finish cooling on a cooling rack.
Tips & Notes
Almond milk: option to add a little bit more almond milk depending on how thick your batter is.
Serving Size: 1/10
Keywords: healthy banana bread, healthy banana bread recipe
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Erin from The Wooden Skillet.